Written by Rebecca Fayad - Year 12 - Managing Director and Co-Founder of KCDSpeaks
We all know that climate change is an important issue, and even though most of the world emissions come from big industrial companies, we, as users, have the power of purchase. When we think wisely about our daily life actions- especially purchases, we have the power to change the world - and in this context, our futures. Here is a short quiz to roughly know how much you are harming- or benefitting our planet!
1. How would you describe your personal diet?
I eat meat a lot.
I eat meat moderately.
I am vegetarian.
I am vegan
2. What kind of vehicle do you travel in most often as a driver or a passenger?
Cycle or Walk
3. How many times have you travelled outside the country in the past 12 months?
Over 10 times.
Between 6 and 10
Between 2 and 6
Less than 2
4. How many bedrooms does your house have?
5. Do you regularly turn off your appliances when you are not using them (even when you are sleeping)?
No, I leave them all on.
I just turn off the lights and the air-conditioning when not needed.
I try my best to unplug before I sleep, but not always succeed.
We only use the necessary appliances at home, we like it natural.
6. In a typical month, how much do you spend money on clothes, footwear, health and beauty products (for the entire household)?
1000aed - 2999aed
100aed - 999aed
0aed - 99aed
7. Of the food you buy, how much of it is wasted or thrown away?
10% to 30%
0% to 10%
8. How many hours a week do you spend in fuel-using vehicles (car, bus, etc...)?
Over 25 hours
10 to 25 hours
2 to 10 hours
Under 2 hours
9. What kind of house do you live in?
10. If you have any pets, how much money do you on them?
100aed - 1000aed
I don't have any pets
If you answered mostly A’s your annual carbon footprint per person is about 20 metric tons. Your carbon emissions are really high; try to decrease them by having fewer animal products in your diet, as the animal industry causes one of the highest rates of pollution. 20 metric tons is about as heavy as 40 grizzly bears, 12 cars, or 10 rhinoceros!
If you answered mostly B’s your annual carbon footprint per person about 15 metric tons. Your carbon emission is fairly high, try to decrease the amount of money you spend on products that aren’t vegan, and especially the ones that contain palm oil. 15 metric tons is about as heavy as 3 Tyrannosaurus rex, 300 octopuses, or 80,000 billiard balls!
If you answered mostly C’s your annual carbon footprint per person about 9 metric tons. Your carbon emission is moderately low, try to avoid keeping your devices charging overnight. 9 metric tons is about 15,000 basketballs or 20,000 footballs!
If you answered mostly D’s your annual carbon footprint per person about 4 metric tons. Your carbon emission is equal to the average carbon emissions for a healthy environment in the world, try to walk more and cycle more than you already are - Well done! 4 metric tonnes is equal to about 101 dalmatians, 15,000 human hearts, or 6 cows!
Send us your results in the comment section- or on our Instagram: @kcdspeaks and tell us any advice you might give others on how to respect our home!